Tuesday, February 11, 2014

i'm not a princess, this ain't a fairytale

The other day when driving home from getting ice cream at 10:30 on a Wednesday night (as college girls do), my housemates and I were debating which Disney princesses best fit our personalities (as college girls do). We figured out most of them -- we had a Belle, a Jasmine, a Repunzel, a Merida, a Pocahontas, a Snow White, a Mulan, and a Cinderella. But we couldn't come to a decision for me. "Ariel," they said. "You're totally Ariel." 
"No, Ariel is way too dramatic."
"Plus, Laurissa is way more of an Ariel." 
I was stranded. Princessless. Nameless. Identityless. 

And then I realized it. I'm not a princess, I'm a sidekick. And that's okay. I'm a Mushu or a Pumba or a Sebastian. I'm the one who's always there to provide a bit of comic relief, but at the same time, where would the princess be without me?
So Mushu can occasionally be more of a hinderance than a help, and he wasn't even really supposed to help Mulan, but he's totally everyone's favorite character in that movie. And Pumba is a little bit gross and farts a lot, but there's no way Timon or Simba could survive without him. 

So here I am, putting it out there for all of the internet to see. I am not a princess, and I'm okay with it. 

(no worries for the rest of my days)

No comments:

Post a Comment