Saturday, March 12, 2011

bright lights, big city.

My family took a trip to NYC over spring break, and after looking at the pictures when we got back, I realized that what we had basically done was gone on a food tour of the city. And also stopped at Carlo's Bakery on the way. We waited in line for about an hour and 45 minutes to get through the Cake Boss bakery, but I would have to say it was worth it. We ended up with eclairs, chocolate cake with chocolate mousse and a strawberry, lobster tails, chocolate cream puffs, chocolate and peanut butter cupcakes, and red velvet cupcakes. And everything was great. 
After Carlo's, my favorite place by far was Crumbs, a cupcake bakery. I had some sort of extremely chocolate cupcake that had hot fudge in the middle. It was glorious. 
On our last day, we were looking for Fat Witch Bakery, which our travel agent had recommended. We found it in the Chelsea Market, and we started to wish that we had gone there earlier. The Fat Witch brownies turned out to be a disappointment, but the rest of Chelsea Market was not. It was Ash Wednesday and my mom, being the good Catholic she is, was fasting. It was torture for her. Everywhere in Chelsea Market was full of great smelling food and it had what seemed like ten bakeries. It was also just a really cool place, that had an industrial feel. 
We hit up the Empire State Building as well, and at the perfect time as the sun was setting. 
My mom and I saw "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying" with Daniel Radcliffe. It was still in previews, and it was great. I've always loved musicals and I've always loved Daniel Radcliffe, so it seems like the perfect combination. He made such a good Finch, and I was really impressed that he could sing and dance. Also, my mom was shocked by how short he was, especially compared to John Larroquette (who was also great). 

No comments:

Post a Comment